When built, the windows were of clear glass. The two windows at the west end of the north side may be original. St Paul’s now has 8 stained glass windows within the main body of the church; the East Window, 5 on the south side and two on the north.
The East Window
The east window is by F. Barnett of York made in 1857/8. Barnett of York later moved to Scotland and became Barnett & Sons of Leith, a firm that did work for the Victorian architect Pugin (who designed, among many things, the House of Commons). The base part of the window is obscured by the later addition of reredos and panels. The window comprises a central line of figures with Jesus flanked by 6 apostles and a lower (hidden) line of St Paul flanked by the remaining apostles, with Judas replaced by Barnabas. Between is a series of scenes from the life of Christ.
This window is erected to the names of several people, as follows:
- J G. Horsfall, Esq., and his wife Mary (of Bolton Royd, Bradford).
- Mary Hodgson of Junction House, Shipley.
- George, Fanny and William, children of W and F. Greenwood.
- Richard Fawcett, of Bradford.
- Mary and Mary Fawcett (the two wives of Richard Fawcett).
- James Browne of Spring Lodge, Baildon.
- Margaret Ann, wife of Henry Smith and daughter of James Browne.
- James Hargreaves, of Shipley.
North Side Windows
- Window in memory of William Cockshott (nearest to Choir vestry). Made by Clayton and Bell in 1869, an early example of their work. Two panels, one below and one above gallery, each divided into 3 lights and showing scenes from the Resurrection of Jesus. The theme of the Resurrection was much depicted in the windows of Clayton and Bell. William Cockshott (and his brother Jesse) were well known in Shipley for their Drapers and Linen shop.
- Window in memory of Samuel Wilson (next to Cockshott window) dated 1869. A church magazine of 1901 gives the maker as “Edmondson” (prob. R B Edmundson’s of Manchester) . There are two main panels, one below gallery and one above, each divided into 3 lights. Between are three lights with scenes. Below the gallery level the upper scenes illustrate Matthew 25:35 and the lower scenes are the Transfiguration, Crucifixion and Resurrection of Christ. Samuel Wilson was a church warden at St Paul’s and member of the Local Board of Health 1859.
South Side Windows
- Window in memory of Revd William Kelly and wife; William Kelly was vicar of St Paul’s from 1845 to 1883 – 38 years. The window was dedicated on 20th May 1894 and the work was carried out by Heaton, Butler and Bayne of Garrick Street, Covent Garden, London. The whole lower window depicts Jesus in the Temple with the teachers (Luke 2:41-51).
- Window in memory of John Wilkinson and Grace, his wife. The window was made by Powell Brothers of Leeds and dedicated in 1888. Charles and Albert Powell founded a stained glass studio in Park Square, Leeds in 1872. Although best known for their stained glass they undertook other decorative works throughout a church, such as murals. The Upper lights show The Miraculous Draught of Fishes, (Luke 5:4-8), Stilling the Storm (Luke 8:23-25) and the Raising of Lazarus (John 11: 43-44). The lower is a complete scene showing Jesus appearing to his disciples (John 20:26-29. In the gospel this takes place indoors, but the scene here is clearly outside.
- The Peel (Faith, Hope and Charity) Window. In memory of three members of the PEEL family of Windhill (there is a memorial plaque to the left of the window); William the Father, Rebecca the Mother and a daughter Henrietta. No manufacturer stated. The main parts show Faith (holding a cross), Hope (holding an anchor) and Charity (holding children – presumably orphans). William Peel was a businessman and wool manufacturer who lived at Crag Cottage , Windhill.
- A pair of Windows, in the church in memory of Joshua and Martha Beanland, of Bradford, erected by their son, Henry and in the Narthex one in memory of Isaac, Joshua and Henry Beanland, of Bradford, erected by their executor J.R.Cordingley, of Bradford. Both of these windows were made by Powell Brothers of Leeds and dedicated in 1875. As a pair they illustrate the sayings from the parable of the sheep and the goats (Matthew 25:30-40).